D. Douglas Titus
D. Douglas Titus has practiced administrative, tax, business, commercial, estate planning/probate, bankruptcy, and employment law for over twenty years. He also works with families on elder law issues and planning. Before returning to full-time private practice full-time, he was with the state and local tax division of a Big Five accounting firm, having previously served for several years as counsel – legislation and policy for the Washington State Department of Revenue.
Titus is a native of Castle Rock, Washington, and graduated from Whitman College in Walla Walla. He received his law degree, with honors, from the University of South Dakota, where he was a member of the Sterling Honor Society, and the South Dakota Law Review. He also received two graduate degrees in education from that school. In 1998, Titus completed work for an LL.M. in taxation at the University of Washington School of Law. He teaches a graduate accounting class on business organizations and tax planning for Central Washington University, and taught a class on school law for City University.
Titus has been admitted to practice before courts in Washington and Iowa, and the United States Tax Court.
Titus is a member of the American, Washington State, and King County Bar Associations and their respective sections on taxation, elder law/probate, and employment. He is also member of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the Greater Seattle Business Association, and the Association for Transportation Law, Logistics and Policy.
Titus has represented business and individual clients before administrative agencies, state courts, the United States District and Circuit Courts, and the United States Tax Court. His reported decisions include:
- Iowa Beef Processors, Inc. v. Illinois Central Gulf Railroad Co., 685 F.2d 255 (8th Cir. 1982).
- Cochrane v. Iowa Beef Processors, Inc., 596 F.2d 254 (8th Cir. 1979).
- Midwest Packers Traffic Association v. Interstate Commerce Commission, 579 F.2d 473 (8th Cir. 1978).
- Iowa Beef Processors, Inc. v. Gorman, 476 F.Supp. 1382 (N.D. Iowa 1979)
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- 5% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Iowa, 1972
- Washington, 1997
- University of South Dakota School of Law, Vermillion, South Dakota
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington